With elections only a few months away and the campaign trail heating up, the event hopes to de-mystify the process of election polling and seat forecasting in India through two-panel discussions of 55 minutes each.
The first panel will bring together psephologists and pollsters who will break down exactly what goes into making an election poll - from sample size to poll design to actual analysis. This panel includes
- Sanjay Kumar, Director, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
- Yashwant Deshmukh, Founder-Director, CVoter International
- Pradeep Bhandari, Founder-CEO, Jan Ki Baat
- Bhawesh Jha, Co-Founder, CNX Media
The second panel will bring together journalists from TV, print and online media to discuss the intricacies involved behind the consumption of poll numbers on their platforms and their dissemination. This panel includes
- Rajdeep Sardesai, Consulting Editor, India Today Group
- Surjit S Bhalla, Contributing Editor, The Indian Express, and Consulting Editor, Network 18
- Saurabh Dwivedi, Editor, The Lallantop
This panel discussion is jointly hosted by the Centre for Policy Research (CPR) and Lokniti-CSDS, and it is the first in a series of events in the run-up to 2019 elections. This collaborative series between the two research institutions - 'Conversations on Indian Democracy' - aims to make academic research more accessible to the general public.
Tea and biscuits will be served at 2:30 p.m.