The Centre for Policy Research invites you to a virtual panel discussion on: ‘Myanmar 2021: Another 1988, or a New Future?’
- Yamini Aiyar, President and Chief Executive, CPR
- P.M.S. Malik, Former Indian Ambassador to Myanmar (1990-1992)
- Shyam Saran, Senior Fellow, CPR and Former Indian Ambassador to Myanmar (1997-2001)
- Rajiv Bhatia, Distinguished Fellow, Gateway House and Former Indian Ambassador to Myanmar (2002-2005)
- Gautam Mukhopadhaya, Senior Visiting Fellow, CPR and Former Indian Ambassador to Myanmar (2013-2016)
- Nimmi Kurian, Professor, CPR
In case of any issues and for any queries, please email at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Discussion
Myanmar has been witnessing widespread public protests across the country since the February 1 military takeover and the Tatmadaw’s decision to annul the November 2020 general elections results that the National League for Democracy had won.
Join us at CPR as we host four distinguished former Ambassadors of India to Myanmar in one panel to unpack the complexities of the issue, its underlying causes and potential consequences. We will look back at the country’s political history to compare and contrast the ongoing protests with the pro-democracy uprisings of August 8, 1988, and debate the extent to which these could point to possibly unstable and fractious futures for the country.