Budget Brief 2015-16: Integrated child Development Services
28 February 2015
- In 2012, GOI restructured ICDS. The Twelfth Five Year Plan (FYP) has allocated 1,23,580 crore to ICDS — a 3-fold increase from the previous FYP.
- The number of operational Anganwadi Centres (AWCs) has increased by 29% between March 2009 and March 2014. However, the number of beneficiaries per AWC continues to be high. As of March 2014, 1 functioning AWC provided supplementary nutrition to 68 children. The number of children per AWC was the highest in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, with 1 AWC feeding 193 and 101 children, respectively.
- Vacancy rates for Anganwadi Workers (AWW) and Anganwadi Helpers (AWH) have improved since March 2011. As of March 2014, only 5% of AWW posts were vacant.
- A significant number of administrative staff positions remain vacant. As of March 2014, 31% of Child Development Project Officer (CDPO)/Assistant Child Development Project Officer (ADPO) posts and 30% of supervisor posts were vacant across India.
- As of March 2014, 28% of ICDS beneficiaries (children) in India were malnourished. This is an improvement from March 2011, when 41% were reported malnourished.