Watch the full video (above) of the panel discussion between Amba Kak, Dr Avdesh Sharma, and Dr Nand Kumar, chaired by Ambassador Shyam Saran, as part of the ‘Metamorphoses-Talking Technology’ series.
Our modern age is characterised by the pervasive use of digital technologies, which may spawn the internet and the World Wide Web. We now have the widespread use of social media, such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram among others. These are instrumental of democratising the political and social space of vastly improving access to knowledge and enabling quick and efficient communications. Along the benefits, however, come a number of serious concerns, both social and psychological, including phenomena such as trolling the use of bots and internet-addiction. Our challenge lies in using digital technologies for the benefit and welfare of mankind, while mitigating, if not eliminating the negative consequences.
Amba Kak is Public Policy Advisor at Mozilla Corporation.
Dr Avdesh Sharma is a Senior Psychiatrist.
Dr Nand Kumar is a Professor at the Department of Psychiatry, AIIMS.
Ambassador Shyam Saran is a former Foreign Secretary and Life Trustee at the India International Centre.
The audience feedback of the session can be accessed here.
Metamorphoses is a modest effort to try and bridge the gap between digital technologies, which are transforming our lives, and our understanding of their multiple dimensions. The series is a joint initiative between NITI Aayog (the Government of India’s think tank), India International Centre (IIC) and Centre for Policy Research (CPR).
Access the other Metamorphoses sessions below:
- Metamorphoses: Keynote
- Metamorphoses: Second Panel Discussion on ‘Future of Governance’
- Metamorphoses: Special Interaction on ‘Leading Digital Transformation and Innovation’
- Metamorphoses: Third Panel Discussion on ‘Vocabulary of the Digital’
- Metamorphoses: Special Interaction on ‘Beyond Techno-Narcissism- Self and Other in the Internet Public Realm’
- Metamorphoses: Fourth Panel Discussion on ‘Technology, Social Divides and Diversity’
- Metamorphoses: Fifth Panel Discussion on ‘Unpacking Media – Digital & Traditional’
- Metamorphoses: Sixth Panel Discussion on ‘Automation, Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Jobs’