Watch the full video (above) of the panel discussion on ‘The Role of Ideas in Shaping Policy’ featuring Lant Pritchett (Senior Visiting Fellow, CPR); Navroz K Dubash (Professor, CPR); Partha Mukhopadhyay (Senior Fellow, CPR) and moderated by Yamini Aiyar (President & Chief Executive, CPR).
What is the role of ideas in public policy? Policy-making is often thought of as an art of balancing trade-offs and negotiating compromises. But underlying these trade-offs are normative assumptions about the state of the world and the consequences of our actions. In recent times, we have tended to focus our debates on policy much more in the realm of design, action and impact than on these underlying questions about the state of the world. Yet, it is ideas that shape our understanding of the state of the world and the possibilities for policy. This session was an invitation to reclaim the space for ideas in our debates on public policy and consider the role of think tanks in driving and shaping the world of policy through ideas.
The panel was organised as part of the second edition of CPR Dialogues, held on 2nd and 3rd March 2020 at the India Habitat Centre. Addressing the theme of Policy Perspectives for 21st-century India, CPR Dialogues 2020 provided a window to the India of the future. Experts from around the country and the world engaged with and debated these very significant development and policy challenges that India faces in the coming decade.
ThePrint India was the digital partner for the event.
An article on India’s regulatory reform, written by Partha Mukhupadhyay in ThePrint can be read here.
Videos of other panel discussions organised as part of CPR Dialogues 2020 can be found below:
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Inaugural Address by Hon'ble Subrahmanyam Jaishankar
- CPR Dialogues 2020- At the Threshold of a New Decade: Navigating the Emerging Geopolitical Landscape
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Rights in Times of AI: Emerging Technologies and the Public Law Framework
- CPR Dialogues 2020- What Would Happen if We Were to Believe in Indian Agriculture?
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Creating an Inclusive Economy in a Digital World
- CPR Dialogues 2020- What Would it Take to Build a 21st-century State for India? Launch of CPR’s State Capacity Initiative
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Technology and Administrative Reform: Experience from India and the World
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Tracking Government Spending: Challenges in Social Policy Financing
- CPR Dialogues 2020- The Air Pollution Crisis: Making Political Salience Count
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Article 21 and India's Social and Economic Rights
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Challenges in Public Education: Balancing State and Non-State Actors
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Emerging Trends in Indian Politics
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Are India’s Financial Institutions in Crisis? Understanding India’s Economic Slowdown
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Indo-US Relations
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Land and the Constitution: Solving Land Conflict in India
- CPR Dialogues 2020- Political Elites and Local Bureaucratic Capacity